Saturday, April 18, 2009

Nesting Time

I write from the canoe today. The day has a hazy sun, it is 50F and getting warmer. Art and a sprained ankle have kept me out of the water for a week.
I put in at the south lagoon and paddle out through the east channel of the burial island.
A heron sits high in the last tall tree on the right, where I haven't seen a heron perch before. Frogs are singing to the left. It has been a long time since I heard frogs.
The first lily pads have reached the surface. They are still scattered, red-brown and only 2 or 3 inches in diameter.
Red Wing Blackbirds are singing from the top of the low brush and the tops of the cattails.
The #2 goose nest is well. The goose sits very still and curled up on the nest. Through my binoculars I see it is watching me. I move on.
Many geese are along the shore in pairs - they haven't built their nests, yet.
Out in the bay, the ducks are fewer and more scattered. Buffleheads, Common Mergansers, Scaup and Coots are present.
In the NE lagoon, I can see that the lake is very high. Nest sites from last May are well underwater. No eagles - but there goes one now, behind me to a perch high in a tree. I think it is the big female.
Goose nest #1 is fine. I spot a 3rd on an old barge section on the N shore. A fourth is in the N channel on the island. The aggressive posture of the mate tips off it's presence.
A 5th uncompleted nest is on another of the west islands.
Taking out, I find a 6th goose nest right across the narrow channel from the landing.
As I paddled close to shore today, I figure that I saw a great blue heron just about every 100 yards.

No comments: