Monday, January 19, 2009

Saltwater


Another fine day, almost 50F, sunny and a light wind. I put in on the north side of Elliot Bay today, out in the sound. A few buffleheads, hooded mergansers and goldeneyes are around. I head west, out towards the main sound, but when I get to 4 mile rock (photo) the wind is stronger and while it is not so strong to keep me from making headway, I don't feel like fighting with anything. So, I turn around and paddle through the giant boat parking lot (how many boats in any marina actually move?). I spot a pair of harlequin ducks, of which the male is very striking. A cormorant surfaces from a feeding dive not 5 feet from me. We are both surprised... Then I return around the outside of the parking lot. Many herons out on the breakwater. The gentle bobbing on the swells and wakes from distant ships washes me from the inside out.

No comments: