Saturday, March 5, 2022

Long Views

 It might, so far, be the best day of the year. It's hard to say though as there haven't been many good days for canoeing.  I put in with the tide still rising, the sky mostly clear with some high thin clouds, almost no wind, and temperatures in the 40's.

Just downriver of the first bridge are three Common Loons.  The checked pattern on their backs is returning.  Those patterns fade out during winter.

Common Loons - note the back pattern returning after winter

The tall spartina of the marsh was knocked down by winter snows, so with the high water, I have expansive views across the marsh.  And, for a change, I can see the layout of the smaller channels that weave and often dead end in the marsh.  There are a great number of Canada Geese.  They are up out of the water in flocks of 15 to 50.  I can only imagine that they are sunning in the pleasant conditions, not to different than myself.  I start with an estimate of 300 Geese, but as I cut down through the center of the marsh, I keep adding to that number.  I end with a guess of a 500 Geese.  My last trip through the marsh was during Goose hunting season, I spotted one Goose hunter and zero Geese.  Funny how that works.

I get to the bottom of the marsh and head to the east.  I spot a Harrier, the white butt patch obvious, plus the fact that it was flying low like a Harrier.  Looking for a perch, it finally settled on the bank where I got a couple photos.  When I aimed my camera again, I saw the Harrier walking off into the brush.  But no, that turned out to be a red fox and the Harrier had retreated to tree perch.  I paddled on and the Harrier took the lead, taking one quick swipe at a pair of snoozing Black Ducks, but the Ducks escaped.  

Harrier, just before the fox enters the scene

I returned back through the center of the marsh.  The Loons were still fishing just downstream of the bridge.

No comments: