Friday, March 18, 2022

Lord Cove

 Calm air and high water took me out into the main river from where I could enter Goose Bay by the "other" entrance.  Just as I thought it might be a no-motorboat day, a fast work boat comes down the river. But, it turns back before getting to me.  It looks like it might be spring run-up time for the local fire department boats.  As I turn in to the channel leading to the bay, there's a high pitched screech, and a Harrier takes off.  Just when the Harrier thought it might be a no-canoe day...  Up in the next bend are two Ducks.  The Harrier flies over and they flee.  Just when the Ducks were starting to think it might be a no-Harrier day...  

The "other" way in to Goose Bay
I was going to round the bay following the shore, but there are about 75 Canada Geese ahead.  Just as they start that nervous honking that they do before flying off, I turn away.  There's no need to pester them.  I cross the bay straight through the center, something that can only be done when the tide is halfway up or more as most of Goose Bay is one step away from becoming a meadow.
Green Winged Teal

The route follows the outer channels of the the cove, clockwise although it is a very elongated clock.  The bird life is a spring mix - some Black Ducks, some Common Mergansers, a few Buffleheads, and a few Widgeons, and a few Green-Winged Teal.

I head all the way into the farthest reach of the Eagle Cove.  One of the Bald Eagles is on the nest tending eggs.  This pair are the most productive Eagles that I've ever seen, fledging three young in each of the three years that I've observed them. 

Bald Eagle nest

From there, I start back out, heading into the Bridge Cove as far as possible.  The high water lets me scoot over a boulder shelf that normally blocks access to the last few hundred yards.  With that completed, I continue out following closely the east shore.


No comments: