Sunday, March 20, 2022

Swamp Time

The water was high when I put in.  The Mattabesset drains into the Connecticut River and when the big river is running high, this on just backs up like a reservoir.  Unlike most rivers, when the Mattabesset is high, it has almost no current.  The river is just barely out of the banks, not so much that I could paddle through the forest like I did last summer, but it does open up many short cuts and side areas. 

The weather overcast with heavy blue-gray clouds and temperatures near 60.  There is a light wind.

Heading down river, I notice that there are quite a few new beaver cuts and peels just a quarter mile in.  This is sign of a new colony although I cannot locate the lodge.  Otherwise, it is a very quiet day, wildlife-wise.  Most of the waterfowl will be away from the open water of the river channel - there is plenty of water to feed in back in the extensive marsh on either side.

The new Tepee Lodge is somewhat flooded and I cannot say if there is enough room inside for the colony or not.At least it is still well maintained.  The original Tepee Lodge is down to a round pile of sticks.  The abandoned eagle nest, which hasn't been used for 2 or 3 years, is completely gone - either the tree fell or, more likely, the nest was blown out.  Either way, it is gone and I can't figure out where it used to be.

One of the Coginchaug Lodges

The Coginchaug beaver lodges are looking great.  There are two close built right on the main channel and they are both taller and larger than the lodges I passed on the Mattabesset.

I tried again to get back into an old quarry pond that another canoeist tipped me off to.  I get a little farther, but the shallow creek is badly blocked by large downed trees.

I continue up the Coginchaug to the usual turn back point, where the river runs fast and shallow through an somewhat open area of blow downs.   

When I get back to the first patch of beaver cuts and peels, I spot a good sized beaver up on the back doing a little bit of eating and a lot of basking.  I'd guess it is a 25-30 pounder. It is unperturbed by my arrival, so I watch it for a few minutes before continuing.

No comments: