Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Spring Time, Definitely

 It's a good day for a longer paddle.  I set out from under the bridge sometime around high tide, with a very light wind, and temperatures climbing well into the 50's.  I cross the river and head up through the four island complex - Pope's Flat, Long, Peacock and Carsten Islands.  I flush fifteen Black Ducks in the channel between Peacock and Carsten.  They head up to the top of the marshy islands and circle looking for a new spot to set down.  I flush them one more time, but they're not much interested in flying too far.

I follow the east shore up to the dragonfly factory.  They're flight testing a private helicopter - first time I've seen anything that wasn't a military variant.  It's unusually noisy, as if something isn't lined up quite right with the rotors.  It's nice when it finally stops hovering and flies off.

I circle Dragonfly Island.  That's not the name on the maps, but I always have a hard time remembering place names which have no connection to the place where they are at.  From now on, it is, Dragonfly Island.  And, the island downstream is, Peck's Island, as far as I'm concerned.  Peck's Mill was once on the east bank although there is no sign of it anymore.  But, I don't have trouble remembering historic details, so Peck's Island it is.  After circling Dragonfly Island I head back downriver along the west bank.  

Near the entrance to Garbage Cove, I spot seven Wild Turkeys in the brush on top of a small knoll.  

At Pope's Flat (flat is an old term attached to some of the low marsh islands in these parts) I spot a Loon, which dives and swims submerged far enough that I don't spot it again.  A Swan comes over and does the power-pump.  It is an aggressive warning that signals that Swan hormones are starting to rage.  It is a bit intimidating - the Swan raises its wings over its back to make it look larger, then it tucks the head and swims with strong pumping foot motion that pushes a minor wall of water in forwards.

No comments: