Friday, March 25, 2022

First Osprey

Frequently visiting the same collection of coastal rivers, I have noticed that I will find certain birds in one river, but not another.  Today, I put in on the East River in part because I am very likely to see a Red Throated Loon.  The Red Throated Loon supposedly winters in this area, although I can't recall ever seeing one in the winter.  But, when spring comes, I can be almost guaranteed to see at least one in the East River.  Why here, I can't exactly say.  I think I have only seen one in the Housatonic, even though the mouths of both rivers are salt marshes.  In fact, if I want to see Common Loons, the Housatonic River is the place - I spotted twelve Common Loons on my last trip there.  There may or may not be any science to it.  It might just be that I prefer to canoe in the places where those birds prefer to swim.

Red Throated Loon - winter colors
As I am loading the canoe, a Red Throated Loon swims past.  Speak of the devil.  It is low tide with not much current, not much wind, not much sun, and not much of a chill.  I spot a second Red Throated Loon at the second bend up river.  After herding it up river for a couple hundred yards, it circles wide around me and resumes fishing in the area where I first saw it.  I find a third Red Throated Loon at Cedar Island. It swims up river ahead of me and joins up with a fourth Red Throated Loon.  There are some Buffleheads, and Gulls around as well.

I continue on up past the stone arch bridge with not much else to report other than it being a fine day for a paddle.  With the low tide, this is a good spot to turn back. Rounding the first turn of the Big Bends, I spot a coyote just three canoe lengths away.  It is wet and looks to have just shook itself after swimming the short length across the river.  It looks at me, lopes a few yards, looks back, and then disappears into the marsh.

Near Cedar Island, I am watching a Hawk when it flies over to one of the empty Osprey nest platforms and joins a second Hawk that is already there.  a few hundred yards off, I use my camera to get a closer look - Osprey.  I did not expect Osprey quite yet.  I start paying attention and find four more as I head out.

A good wildlife count for the day - 4 Red Throated Loons, 6 Osprey, and a coyote.

No comments: