Friday, March 11, 2022

Spring Time, Almost

It is a fine day with near calm air, sun and temperatures climbing into the mid 40's.  I set out from under the bridge on a tide that won't matter - today's tide coefficient is very low, which means that the difference between high and low tide, and the resulting currents, are small.

Everything is in place except for my camera, which I forgot at home.  I paddle down river and then through Nell's channel.  The marsh seems to have a good number of Ducks and Geese, as it did on the last trip, although the water is too low for me to scan across the marsh - eye level is just below the top of the bank.

Back in the river, I start spotting quite a few Common Loons...more than I usually see.  There are also quite a few Swans.  

I head down to the lowest navigation pillar - a twenty foot tall stone and cement marker from past days.  There are three oyster boats working the area.  Two Loons, which are usually skittish around people, are hanging close to one of the boats.  They rush in every time the crew starts sorting, picking off anything edible that goes over the side.  By this time, I've seen about a dozen Loons, three of four times what I usually count.

I follow the east side of the river back up, spot one mature Bald Eagle and one male Long Tail Duck... wish I had the camera for that beautiful Duck.

No comments: