Friday, February 11, 2022

Beat the Tide

I catch the middle of the falling tide and ride a strong current down to the marsh.  But, I paddle steady the whole time as I figure that I can just barely make it around the inside of the marsh before the water gets too low...and I get stuck.

It is the finest day of the year, with almost no wind, clear sky, and temperatures in the mid 40's.

There are very few birds about, just some Mallards and Red Breasted Mergansers, so the paddling is uninterrupted.  Even in the marsh, it is surprisingly quiet.  

Common Loon
The "height of land", so to speak, is the area north of the the Audubon Center.  More or less, this is where the tide waters meet or diverge.  It is just a few inches deep when I get there, so there is no time to lose.  I try to read the water, looking for a bit of current - that's where the deepest water will be.  I get through with just a bit of poling with my "rock" paddle.

Harrier
I head out into the river mouth, but there are still few birds other than Gulls and three Mute Swans.  I head back through Nell's channel.  I spot one Coot, three Buffleheads and a Common Loon, and then a Harrier that has taken off from Nell's Island. Farther up the channel I spot of flock of Geese.  They don't move as I approach...apparently, it is Goose hunting season.  Lousy day for Goose hunting in the marsh as I have not seen one during the entire paddle. 

Decoys

I spot one more Loon as I head back up the river on a slack current.

No comments: