Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Wheeler Figure Eight

I set out for another quick trip through the local marsh. It is a nice enough day with high clouds. It looks a bit like smoke, but the air is supposed to be clean right now. It is high tide and there is almost no current as I paddle the mile down to the marsh.

With the high tide, I head into the interior, taking the short cut towards Nell's channel, but turning away from the open water and heading in the required somewhat random meander to the central phragmites patch. So far, I have passed two Willets, a couple Yellow Crowned Night Herons and the usual Osprey and Mallards. An immature Bald Eagle comes from the eastern trees, turns back, turns back toward me, and the returns to the trees.

I flush a Green Heron and a Black Crowned Night Heron from the phramites. There are some clucking calls coming out of the brush, which could be a Rail or another Green Heron.

I continue into the lower east corner, cross the big shallow open water that describes the lower marsh at high tide, and then from Milford Point, head back on a diagonal through the center. The tide is dropping by this time, the water flowing in the path of least resistance out of the marsh.

I head back up the river to my take out.

No comments: