Monday, June 26, 2023

Catalpa Blossoms

It was a late start, so a shorter trip was in order. I tried to get to O' Sullivan's Island, which is at the top of the lower tidal section of the Housatonic, but the forever road construction project fooled me and I missed the turn, which had been cleverly moved, and it wasn't worth fooling around with to figure out where the detour was. I just drove on to Indian Wells.

It is moderately warm day, something about 80F, I suppose, but it is humid. The weather service has put a good chance of showers and possible thunderstorms, but it is overcast and there doesn't seem to be enough heat to get the air moving vertical, at least not enough to build a thundercloud. 

I head upstream, pass a flock of Canada Geese, some scattered Mallards, one Green Heron, one Kingfisher and a pair of white tail does, each with a spotted fawn.The most noteworthy sighting of the day is that the catalpa trees are in blossom. It is a big leaf hardwood that produces a long bean pod - 8 or 9 inches long. The flowers are quite beautiful, and plentiful - kind of a blend between an iris and an orchid. Later, when the bloom is finished, the flowers will drop off one at a time leaving a long trail in the river.

I head out an hour and return.

No comments: