Saturday, June 10, 2023

Snapper Day


I put in on the Great Swamp, the Great Swamp that lies just across the border in New York, as pretty much every state on the east coast has a "Great Swamp' just like pretty much every state has an "Essex" or "Milford".  It seems the colonials lacked imagination in naming places.

 This is a favorite trip, something I do several times each year. This one will be the last until fall, as it gets weed matted during the summer. Today, the water is on the low side, which reminds me to bring my bow saw so that I can do my part by nibbling at blocking deadfalls. I am surprised to be the only one in here as it is a rather perfect day with temperatures in the 60's and blue sky with a handful of clouds.

The first beaver dam

The first beaver dam comes in just five minutes. It is a new dam, built across the bottom of the first pond. It holds back 15-18 inches of water, and it might explain why I am alone. Rental kayaks often start in from here, and the typical Ken & Barbie Barcalounger rental kayak makes it just about impossible to cross a beaver dam.  First one in sees the most wildlife.... and as soon as I cross the dam I spot a large mature Bald Eagle. The lodge associated with this first dam is about a 100 yards up the pond on river-right. It is easy to spot, but only if one is looking for a lodge, otherwise one could paddle right by without noticing. Great Blue Herons are numerous enough to be regular sightings (for the entire trip).

 I cross two older submerged and unmaintained dams and one collapsed lodge, before getting to the second dam, which holds back only a few inches of water. The lodge for this dam is nearby, and the important thing is that there is a snapping turtle halfway up the side of the lodge - keystone species action.

Note the snapping turtle


The third lodge has a pair of eastern rat snakes sunning on a log at the bottom.

Snakes sunning on log at bottom of lodge

In the forest section I flush the first of two white tail deer that I will see. Wood Duck hens with numerous ducklings are common sightings. Fortunately, there is enough swamp brush at the edge of the channel that almost all of the hens just herd their brood into hiding. Wood Duck hens often play decoy, luring visitors away for improbably long distances. I spot two pairs of Canada Geese with four or five goslings each. The goslings are about half-size with some of the adult coloring starting to come in. I guess they might be about a month old.

Snapper practicing tree climbing

It is a rather slow paddle to the  turn around point at Patterson as there is so much activity to observe, and I stop to saw off several bothersome tree limbs. But other than a couple of step overs and five beaver dams, the route is fairly clear. I pass a couple in a canoe about a 1/2 mile from Patterson. I am still surprised that they are the only others that I have seen.

By now, near three hours, I start to become part of the landscape. I stop counting, I stop listing. It's a motion from analytical left brain to emotional right brain. My recent trips have been short and I miss this transition.

I spot a beaver crossing the river. I spot a second white tail deer just below the forest section. I've tallied six snapping turtles.

I take out, just short of six hours of paddling.

No comments: