Friday, June 23, 2023

Wandering

I put in at the usual spot in Pond Brook, a favorite starting point for me. It is always quiet, and surrounded by forest, it has a feeling of seclusion, even if that isn't quite reality. It is in the upper 70's, humid, cloudy to overcast, with a light pleasant wind that is trying to come from the south although the surrounding hillsides have something to say about that. There is a chance of some rain, and possible thunderstorms later in the afternoon.

I head out to the main river and then down to the point where the Shephaug joins. Today, I do not feel like I need to go any particular place, and in fact, it is a toss up as to whether to head south or north up into the Shephaug. I head up, if for no other reason than this protected forested shoreline is so special. I pass a couple fishing from a small boat. I normally just steer clear and pass by. But, with these two, I watch as I go. They are actually fun to watch. Both of them are skilled at casting. Fishing for bass, I suppose, they are casting in towards shore. With each cast, they drop their line in between and under overhanging tree branches. I frequently pull lures, hooks and lines from shoreline trees, but I don't think that these two will be contributing to my collection.

I decide to head at least as far as the wide spot where I have often spotted an Eagle. And, turning the point into that wide area, there is a mature Bald Eagle. It is about a 1/4 mile off and about 200 feet up from the river, perched in a tall gray snag. The white spot of the Eagle's head in that snag gave it away. I zoom in with my camera and see that there is a second mature Eagle about ten feet below the first. This is probably the mated pair that owns the hidden nest about a 1/3 of a mile downstream. The nest can't be seen from the water, but one day I heard the young making a major ruckus as dinner showed up. 

Far enough, I cross the river and start heading south. The wind feels good on this humid day.

I pass the two fishermen again, and again I watch them drop their casts with impressive precision. A bit further on, a mature Bald Eagle flies over me and crosses the river. I watch as it reaches the far shore. It looks like it was setting up for a landing as it disappeared behind the first trees. With nowhere particular to go, as opposed to nowhere "special" to go, as every place I go in here seems to be special, I follow it and cross the river. It is possible that there is a nest. So, I get a bit downstream of where I last saw the Eagle and let the wind drift me past the likely nesting spot. I see nothing other than noting some sky in the trees that shows the terrain to be a bit lower than I thought. The Eagle might have just passed through the low area to points west. Time to head out.

As I put my notebook down, it begins to sprinkle very lightly. It picks up some, but stays a sprinkle. I take it, and the darkening sky as a hint of coming weather. The rain stops at the turn to Pond Brook, and then starts again just as I reach my take out.


No comments: