Friday, May 21, 2021

Mileage

 May 20

Sometimes, just to keep yourself honest, you just have to do the time and distance.  I put in on the big river under the highway bridge and turn upriver.  I find a surprisingly strong current still coming down the river - 2:1 current - twice as long against it as with it.  I could cross the river to get out of the flow but the extra distance would make it all a wash, so to speak.  Just before the Feral Cat Park the deep channel sweeps to the other side of the river and the current lets up. That's one of the better things about this section - the deep water navigation channel is often narrow and over to one side of the river., so I can usually put two or three hundred yards between me and the motorboats.

I spot a male swan near Pope's Flat.  There's a swan nest on that island, I spotted it from land a few days ago.  A loud "Slap, slap, slap, slap",  I turn to see the swan heading straight for me.  It's low and strikes the water's surface with feet and wing tips as it charges.  It gets your attention as intended.  I wave my paddle and the swan settles into the water.  Then it parallels me with the "big bad boy" pulsing swim - each kick of the huge feet a big thrust that forces a good sized wake.  The wings are held a bit above the back to make it look larger.  I paddle on.  One more time, "slap, slap, slap", it flies at my backside.  I wave my paddle again, that's my way of making myself look bigger, the swan settles and calms down.

I just keep paddling.  This is a big water section of the river and there's not too much to see given the distance - a few Osprey, an immature Bald Eagle, a few Great Blue Herons and Great egrets.  The Canada Geese provide the sound track, complaining about me being within a quarter mile.  In different places I spot three sets of goslings being herded by the parents.  All appear to be between 4 and 10 days old and are still being watched by only their parents.  Soon, the family units will start to collect and begin running a flock of 15-20 goslings - two adults in the lead, two adults in the trail.  It always reminds me of a middle school field trip, because it is - their being taught to be part of the flock.

I circle the first island above the first marina and return following the opposite shore.

No comments: