Saturday, May 15, 2021

Bird Marsh

It's a fine day of sun and warm temperatures with just a light breeze. I put in under the big bridge with about two hours to go before high tide. Then I paddle down river against a moderate flood current that just doesn't take much of the speed off of the canoe.

Once at the marsh, I turn into the first channel that leads in. It dead ends, as I thought it might, after about 200 yards. I return and take the next channel. This one I am familiar with and I know it leads through if I make a few correct turns along the way. Right off, it is a good bird day. I spot a couple of Yellow Crowned Night Herons and a couple of Great Egrets. The Osprey are doing what Osprey do, no surprise there. I hear some Willets and soon spot a few of them as well. I eventually find the long lost missing diagonal route that leads over to the east edge of the marsh.

OysterCatcher
I explore a few channels, taking advantage of the high water. They either dead end or I manage too cut across some submerged spartina into another channel. If I was one of those people that track themselves with GPS, I could post a squigley doodle of a route that would not make much sense unless you could see where I am.

At the bottom of the marsh I find a good number of Brandts - I'd guess about 200. They are scattered about in very loose groups that don't really fit the definition of flocks. I find a few Least Terns and there are Oyster Catchers perched and feeding on spartina patches that are still above water.

I spot a pair of canines loping along the shore. They are odd looking...not quite coyote, not fox, and they do not look like stray pets, especially with the business like lope. That walk reminds me very much of coyotes. They also notice me from about 200 yards, which tame dogs don't typically do.

Black Bellied Plover
After getting over to Milford Point, I head back in what turns out to be my usual semi-lost route through the bottom of the marsh. On my way, I find quite a few Black Bellied Plovers. They like to perch on the smallest leftovers of land when the tide rises and I've seen them in this area before. They are a handsome bird. I eventually get to Nell's Channel, which never seems to be quite where I remember it to be. From there I paddle back among the birds with little to add except for the Harrier that crossed my path.

No comments: