Saturday, May 8, 2021

Mattabesset River in Flood

The river level is a complete surprise with the water well into the trees and the bottom land awash if not downright flooded. I determine that there can only be two possibilities. Either the downstream population of beaver have completed their 3/4 scale model of the Bonneville Dam or the Connecticut River is receiving a big pulse of snow melt from the north. (Later I check the Hartford gauge and find the river at about 12 feet, which is a couple feet above the highest that I've seen in person)

With this water level, I head upriver. I note right away that the sound effects are delightful. Birds are whistling, chattering or skreaking all around. I have no current to work against and the gravel bars that I normally have to wade past are well submerged. Even the fast mess at the trestle, which is often a short carry, is deep and calm. I pick up the first hint of current just below the highway bridges. This is often a high point due to fast and shallow water, but it goes easy. I work around a couple of log jams up to the big bank-to-bank jam that has been here as long as I have been visiting. It stinks - An immature Bald Eagle is picking at a very dead animal at the edge of the river. A second immature is perched not far away. I'm tempted to keep going but I know that it is fast water and woody debris upstream and it seems that observing the marsh might be a better use of my effort.

On the return to my put in I spot a mink polishing and scenting on a hollow log. They are about a curious as an animal gets and I stop and watch as it checks me out, and then goes back to rubbing and preening.

I pass the put in and continue. Eventually I paddle out into the trees where the water is at least 2 or 3 feet deep - deep enough that the paddle never touches bottom. Leaving the river I cut out acorss flooded cattail marsh. There are a lot of Great Blue Herons around. I can see 2 or 3 at any one time, then 2 or 3 more will take flight from an unseen location and pass by.

I spot two more immature Bald Eagles near the bottom of the marsh.

I check on known beaver lodges and find them nearly submerged. The Tepee Lodge, the top of which is normally is 5 to 6 feet above the river bank, is only a foot or so above the water. I wonder where the beaver hide when their lodges are flooded.

No comments: