Friday, May 7, 2021

First Willet - April 27 2021

I put in at the stage coach ford about 2 hours before a very high tide. A threat of rain didn't materialize and the clouds at that time appeared to be burning off.

The Gravel Flats were a full paddle blade deep. I spotted a reddish pin feather - one of those that looks like it was removed with some effort. I look for a kill but don't see any sign.
After passing the Duck Hole farms, the small pox graves, and the Parmalee Dam ruins I spot a dead bird in the water. It is a rooster that matches the pin feather that I'd seen a quarter mile earlier.

There are quite a few Canada Geese in the upper marsh. They are well back from the river feeding on new growth, I suppose.

I see several Yellow Legs in the Big Bends.

I spot my first Willet this year about a hundred yards above the Post Road. I spot my second about a hundred yards below. There are more as I continue down and through the Sneak. But, it is not the full summer population, yet. They have not been here long, they are not boisterous but more focused on feeding after migration. Soon they will start to squabble over nesting territory and pay more attention to the Harrier that flew over. But, I am lucky enough to see one mating dance ritual.

The Osprey are still building nests.

A good strong flood current and a tailwind carry me back to my starting point.

No comments: