Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Stone Culvert

I set out with M from the silent cove that leads out into the Housatonic.  It is a spectacular day of perfect temperature, almost no wind and plenty of sun. 

We paddle our way down around the point and up the shoreline of an artificially widened Shephaug River.  Most people will call this Lake Lillinonah, but I tell M that I don't like referring to reservoirs as lakes since what they really are is dammed rivers.  This section of the river was dammed only in 1955, an act that drowned one small town and raised the water level about 90 ft where the dam is.  But, much of the shore is state forest or in some sort of preserve, so it is a good trip with forested hillsides.  I spot the Bald Eagle in its nest, just a tiny white spot that pulls back and disappears before M can get the binoculars on it.  I let M know that I only spotted it because I already knew exactly where to look.  A few minutes and the Eagle doesn't seem to want to show itself.

We spot two Orioles along the way.  The brilliant black and orange bird is one I never get tired of.

We take a short pause in the stone culvert and M shoots some video.  I have a hunch that it might have been for a railroad that ran in this area but I haven't found a map of the line, yet.  Regardless, this stone culvert is a serious heavy duty piece of work that far exceeds what we be needed for a standard road.

Another half mile and we get to the cascades.  This is our lunch stop as well as the limit to upstream travel.  The water is running low and the river-right channel has no current in it... first time that I've seen that.

We return following the east shore for awhile.  There is sparse development on that shore and we cross back over when we get tired of the somewhat close view of houses and docks.

No comments: