Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Low Tide Feeding Frenzy

The storm that knocked Bob and Rita's trees down a few years back also blew down some of the Osprey nests in Salmon Cove.  As the young had not yet fledged, a whole generation was wiped out.  New nests were started in completely new locations, but of course, new eggs were not laid.  The number of Osprey were down in the following years. 
I set out right at low tide thoroughly absorbing the grey stick swamp landscape.  I have ten Osprey sightings before I get to the turn in the cove.  There are two new and well built nests to add to the two that were here before.  In two of the nests I spot a chick standing up high.  I figure there are 12-14 adult Osprey in the cove today.  They have come back with a vengeance from that storm. 

With the tide bottomed out I follow the channel markers that the locals put out, bleach bottles with red and white reflective tape hung from 12 to 14 ft wood poles.  The route is not direct, meandering through the bottom of the 200+yard wide cove.  But, I figure that 80 percent of the cove is no more than 6-8 inches deep at low tide and the dozen and a half Great Blue Herons that are hunting well out in the middle of the cove support my estimate.  There are five Great Egrets as well and all of the birds are busy stabbing at small fish hiding under pond weeds in the shallow water.
Above the cove in the river proper I spot a Hawk and a pair of Common Mergansers.  But, my goal of paddling up to the Leesville Dam falls a little short.  The gravel bar about a 1/4 mile before the dam is running wading deep and I know from previous trips that almost the full 1/4 mile will be wading, in both directions.  So, I turn back.

By the time I reach the top of the cove the tide is coming back in.  Not only is the water a few inches deeper, but the current has reversed to head upstream against the natural flow.  The Great Blue Herons and Egrets have mostly given up their fishing spots except at the shallowest places.  A few of the Herons are being territorial about the reduced fishing opportunities and engage in some chasing.
immature Bald Eagle
Halfway down the cove I find an immature Bald Eagle tucked away in the trees.  Then, at the point before "the point" I spot another, then another, and then one more that I hadn't seen flies out and up the shore.  On my last trip in here I spotted four immatures all together at the top of the cove and I wonder if these might be the same.  One of them is almost in adult feathers with a white head and tail but still some white mottling on the body.
Almost to adult feathers

It is not far to the take out and the heat of the day is just starting to arrive.

No comments: