Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wind

I set out from the east end of the Crossing Over Place on a windy day with dramatic clouds, multi-shades of white, gray and blue and moving across the sky. In the midwest, where I grew up, the clouds always moved across the sky, sometimes with amazing speed, but here, clouds usually move at an almost imperceptible pace. A very dense flock of coots and widgeons lies just north. Maybe it is the wind that causes them to form a denser group than normal. I drift with the wind and the widgeons get up and fly 200 yards east. The coots just swim, keeping their distance by forming a big black crescent to my left. (except for the coot below)The cattails are nearly white when the sun strikes them bright, all of the life bleached from them and just waiting for wind and rain and animals to lay them to the ground.

I work crosswind along the north shore. It is windy, it is fresh and energizing and the waves slap the side of the canoe while sun comes through and the lake shimmers and then the sun is clouded over and the water goes wavy green, and the sun returns and it goes on.

Outside of the NE lagoon, I lay the paddle across the gunwales and the wind carries me in. I should have coffee. Hot coffee is never better than when I drift downwind in my canoe. Ducks spook and leave when I get into the lagoon. I didn't see the heron until it got up and flew off, just 10 yards away. I write the occurrence because my camera is safely stashed.

In the brush are many red wing blackbirds, most of which I cannot see. They trill and chirp, overlapping and responding to each others calls. It may be me, or it may be the Stellars Jay sharing the bush. It is one of the bluest Stellars Jays that I can remember.

It is a good struggle with the wind to leave the lagoon.

No comments: