Yesterday's trip did the soul a lot of good.
It will be sunny and warm, although no oppressively so, but still, I picked a river where I could find shade when I wanted it.
The Mattebasset is one of my primordial ooze rivers. It is a mix of marsh, swamp and lowland forest, all of which gets flooded a few times each year. The current is slow no matter what the level, until one is a few miles upstream of the usual put-in. The banks are muddy as is the bottom in most places. The deadfalls that lay along the banks are coated in a thin layer of silty mud that makes them look like they've been in place for a hundred years. I keep my eyes out for fresh beaver sign, but find nothing - no scent mounds, no fresh gnaws.
Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons are working the shallows. I spot a few Kingfishers and a couple Green Herons. A couple of Osprey have flown over, and there is a young Hawk somewhere out in the trees making a racket near the Tepee Lodge site.
![]() |
| Wild Rice |
Pickerel weed is still blooming, but wild rice has been added to the mix. The wild rice stands tall above the cattails and lower marsh plants. The top is part tassel, part worn out paint brush. The grass seed that we call wild rice is hidden in that top. When the seed is ripe, it'll shake loose. It would be very difficult to harvest the wild rice in this marsh - one needs a better flooded crop. But, it makes great bird food.
I paddle down to the big river and circle Wilcox Island - that's about a mile and a half. It has been quiet all day. Then, I head back the way I came.




No comments:
Post a Comment