Monday, October 23, 2023

The Mattabesset and Coginchaug

A busy week that ended with a few days of strong winds is behind. While it is still gusty near the sound, the inland areas are much more manageable. I head, once more, to the Mattabesset. 

My last trip here was on a windy day that kept me in the tree lined sections of the river. Where the Coginchaug River joins, there is a large marsh, perhaps a short mile by a half mile in area. Paddling through there is no fun in heavy winds. 

Today's plan is to make a full survey of the beaver lodges and see how they are doing. July's flood waters on the Connecticut River backed up the Mattabesset some 10 or 12 feet, which of course, completely submerged the lodges and forced the beaver to build new shelter. Then, when the flood receded after about 3 weeks, they had to find new shelter again, as the entrance tunnels of the flood shelters would be exposed.

I put in at my usual spot. The water is unusually high, which is a surprise as I had not checked the tides or river gauge. In fact, the forest floor is just barely awash, and the tide alone cannot account for that. So, some of our rainy days last week must have been very rainy farther upriver. (When I get home it I find the gauge showing 5 foot increase over the last 36 hours).

I pass two racing canoes about a mile down river, although I pass them going the opposite direction. It's the tandem couple and the solo outrigger guy. They train here and I see them often. Their doing something like 6 mph, I do a bit over 3 mph. But then, I look at a lot of stuff.

The trees have just started to pop. Some are still green, some are half green, but many have gone to brilliant gold and reds. Fortunately, the recent winds haven't blown the leaves off, it is a matter of a day or two of good timing. 

The Coginchaug

The new lodge at the point is looking okay, although I suspect that the water might be right at the level of the living space. I see no other new dwellings as far as the Cognichaug. A bit into that river, I make a good side trip into a backwater that I've never explored. Then I come out and head upriver. The Big Lodge looks like it might be in use, although it is hard for me to be sure. This was a very large lodge before the July flood. It is reduced in size, but there is wet mud mixed into the wood pile. I'm not sure about it because there is not any fresh cut wood added to it. There is another lodge upriver, but I cannot be sure about it either. There is just a general dishevelment about it. Winter will show whether or not these two lodges are in use as the beaver will fortify the exteriors if they are in use.

There is a good current running down the Coginchaug, which given the water levels is odd. I have no idea what might be draining upstream on this little river. I turn back when I get to a log that I would have to step over. It is an uneventful but beautiful paddle back out.

No comments: