Sunday, August 6, 2023

From O'Sullivan's

I put in from O's Sullivan's Island, which is near the upper end of the lowest section of the Housatonic. A half mile upstream, a 1870's dam marks the end of the tidal river. I haven't been in this part of the river too often, mostly because the put in was inaccessible, partly due to a never ending construction project as well as a shut down for the government to check for toxic chemicals from this formerly industrial zone. The island sits in the confluence of the Naugatuck and Housatonic Rivers, with three old mill towns, each occupying its own section of that "Y" - Shelton, Derby and Ansonia, although I am hard set to figure out what the order is.

The tide is still low when I start. There is no wind, although if there was it would be coming from the North. So, it is an easy and calm paddle down river with no wind and little current to disturb the water's surface.

By staying to river right, the east side, I paddle in cool shade. With the low water, I keep an eye peeled for remnants of the past industrial days. Great Blue Herons are the dominant bird in this calm upper section.

It's 2 miles down to the first small marina. The marina pretty much marks the end of the upper section. For whatever reason, few motorboats come above the marina, even though the river is quite navigable. I suppose most of the boat drivers set their eyes toward the sound. It is still early enough that few ships of the Mai Tai Navy have set sail.

I spot a mature Bald Eagle just about Island #7 (Wooster).  There are 2 immature Eagles and another adult in the inner channel of the island. I'm no expert, but it looks like a hunting lesson. Below the island a short ways, I spot another mature Eagle. 

I continue on to the bottom of Island #6. By this time, I notice the flood current, which is stronger than I expect given that I am about 10 miles inland. As a bonus, the wind, as predicted, has shifted to come out of the South. I turn and head back with current and wind at my back. The trip ends up being a ten miler.

No comments: