Friday, August 7, 2020

Storm Check

A powerful tropical storm blew through a couple days ago and with calm air and cooler temperatures it was time to go out an see how the marsh had faired.

A light sprinkle was falling as I set out, but it ceased soon enough.  The tide had started rising a little over an hour ago but the silt banks were still exposed.  There were several Willets in the lower East River feeding from the muddy shoreline.  At the first bend I watched another harass an unidentified Hawk that was flying across the marsh.  Without nests, the Willets are quite a bit more tame than they were a month back.

The Osprey are somewhat subdued in the lower marsh.  Fortunately, all of the birds (not just the Osprey) fledged before the storm and could fend for themselves if a nest should be damaged.  


Snowy Egret

Just past the railroad bridge I spot a Snowy Egret.  It crosses the river and lands near a Green Heron that I had not seen.  A second Green Heron takes off up river.  These are the first Green Heron sightings of the summer.  This is the time of year when they finally show up in the East River.

Near the arch bridge I find a couple more Green Hero

Green Heron

ns plus a couple Kingfishers.  I also locate a good number of the Osprey that I expected to see in the lower marsh.  There's a fair number of them up here in the forest section of the river.  Either the fishing is good or they came here during the storm and haven't headed back down river. 

Immature Yellow Crowned Night Heron

At Pocket Knife Corner I flush an immature Yellow Crowned Night Heron.  It's not a rare sighting, but not a common one for this river.  

There's just enough tide for me to get to Foote Bridge where I take a break and then turn back.  In just twenty minutes, where I skimmed through shallows, I can take full storkes with the paddle.

The water level is high enough to pass through the Sneak on the return.  There are several Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets in teh lower marsh...always proof that the Willets are done nesting.

No comments: