Tuesday, May 8, 2018

The Journey

Earlier conversations with my wife brought thoughts of how artists work to mind.  For me, the making of art comes by channeling the ideas and thoughts and emotions of my subject.  It is an internal journey brought to the surface.  The result should not be messed with.  I'll leave it at that.  The spirit land is not supposed to be an easy place to get to.  It is a journey, perhaps of toil, but definitely one being vulnerable, a trip of exposing ones innermost.

I put in at Ely's Ferry and head downstream.  Then I head into Lord's Cove cutting across Goose Bay, circling Coute's Hole and returning more or less the way I came.  I spot 2 Eagles, many Swans and Egrets and Ospreys, and 2 Marsh Wrens.  I am pleased to see the Marsh Wrens, I usually don't notice them until they are building nests.  They are here well ahead of the cattails and tall marsh plants that they need to build safe nests.

Alexandra David Neel traveled in Tibet in the very early 20th century, when it was still a closed country.  Her guide was a young Buddhist monk.  During one portion of her travels they came across a group on a pilgrimage around a sacred mountain.  A young girl in the group was especially distressed and worn at trying to keep up with the others.  When they asked the monk for spiritual advice, the monk responded that the purpose of their pilgrimage was to insure that the young girl completed the circuit.  It was a lesson in compassion without direct specifics.

The importance is not in the end of the journey.  The important part is the journey.

I spot a turtle trapped in the stiff stalks of the damned phragmites.  I imagine that it has gotten stuck when the tide dropped.  I lift it with my paddle and drop it into the water.  It's kind of weird how shit like that happens...

No comments: