Monday, August 2, 2010

calm in the salish sea

I put in from the ravine that leads down to Elliot Bay. The sound is calm today and the only waves, small ones at that, seem to be the remnants of wakes from the long distance tugs and ferries that are silhouetted by the low clouds that were fog just an hour ago. Kelp bulbs stand out in such smooth water. Two toy ship drivers momentarily disturb the peace. I move on.

The other night, I showed one of my short canoe videos, and someone said that it was quite meditative and wondered if I meditated. My wife pointed out later that I didn't answer the question. Scientists have wired Tibetan monks and found that there is a remarkable level of brain activity when the meditate. Maybe I am wired differently, but my mind is on "go" when I walk or canoe by myself. Alone, their seems to be nothing I can do to shut it off. Alone, in the repetition of the paddle, of the step, I am never bored.

The water here, west of the park, is gray. It is gray like glacial water, but the gray comes from a clay deposit that comes out from under the bluff and runs into the water. Sometimes, I collect the flat stones that form from that clay. Sometimes, they look like ancient axes, or boomerangs, or pieces of jigsaw puzzles.

A great blue heron has come and gone in silence while I scribble my notes.I head into the locks. There is a bunch of toy ships here today. I forgot that it is Monday and people are scurrying back from long weekends. The lockmaster sends the toyships into the mammoth large lock. I am sent, alone, into the small lock. Me and my 16 foot canoe ride the water up, alone, to the delight of the day's tourists. I, also, think that my canoe is the most interesting boat in the locks.

Some of the large fishing boats are loading up to head out from Fishermen's Terminal.
I take out there, and portage back over to Elliot Bay.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sweet

Bonnie said...

It's even nicer reading it in Montana (grin)