Friday, August 23, 2024

Selden and Wild Rice

I put in on the North Cove at Pettipaug. The tide is out, so rather than wade the gap in the bar, I head down and around the barrier island through the big-money-big-boat marina. It looks like it might be a busy day with plenty of people milling about in their big boats. I nod at some of them as I pass, but no one responds. They just look at me like I am a space alien. As I pass a triple outboard 600hp speedboat, I notice two big LCD screens - and I wonder if they can watch Gilligan's Island on them.

I head up river following the west shore. There is a light wind and it is sunny and doomed to reach 80F. In short, it is too nice to not go canoeing.

 

Top of Selden Channel
The boat traffic turns out to be fairly light for such a fine day. The wide spot above Brockway Island is choppy with old wakes coming from different directions. There's no rhythm or rhyme or cadence to the waves. This junk always makes for a pokey somewhat clunky paddle. As I get to the bottom of Selden Island, which is across the river, the water calms down. I head up behind Eustasia Island and then cross the river over to Selden.
The plants on the left are wild rice
There is a good crop of wild rice growing in the channel. The grain hasn't formed yet, but the plants look healthy. This area didn't get killed off by last years July floods unlike the Salmon River beds. At this point in the river there are a lot of bays and side marshes that were able to absorb some of the flood waters. The wild rice won't be ready for at least 2 weeks (says someone who is not at all an expert).

I pass a fisherman at the top of the Selden channel, and he is the only person I see in there. It is very still today. I spot a couple Osprey, and that is it. 

I return down the east bank for a short while before deciding not to do the extra required distance - it is the outside of a big wide bend. I cut across when there's no traffic in sight and return as I came.

No comments: