Thursday, May 9, 2024

The Shipwreck Reach of the Connecticut

I put in at a new spot, a bit of State land in Cromwell.  The river is running faster than I expected and I regret not looking at the gauge this morning (it's at 8.5 ft - 2 to 3 ft above typical). On top of that, there is a stiff wind coming downriver that doesn't feel like the weather report (it was 10mph gusting to 20). The plan is to go upriver to the Rocky Hill Ferry. I decide to beat my head against it instead of retreating to the familiar nearby swamp. 

I hug the shore as much as possible to catch the slowest current and get some protection from the wind. Unfortunately, on this side of the river there are quite a few fishermen and I have to swing out into the main current to avoid their lines. After grinding that out for a half mile, I cut across the river where I won't have to dodge fishing lines.

The first mile takes more than 45 minutes. But, I start finding slack water in the wobbles of a natural shoreline. I can handle the wind, or the current, but not both, at least for very long. 

Fortunately, the wind starts to drop off. I make Gildersleeve Island in an hour and a quarter. The island is not quite 2 miles from my start. Across the channel from the island is a small sterile concrete bridge with a creek flowing out of it. I've seen it before and intended to explore it some day. (This is Carr Brook)This is the day, I guess. 

 

Carr Brook
The passage under the bridge goes from wide open river to a narrow forested creek. I feel like I've discovered a secret. Fifty feet in, I spot a little head looking at me. White chin hairs - it's a mink. Mink are curious critters and from the relative safety of its burrow entrance, it watches me as much as I watch it.

I continue up the creek a short ways. I spot a male Wood Duck - good terrain for a Woody. It has some "almost" blocking dead fall that I push past. After a few hundred yards, I decide to consult a map when I get home to see if there's enough possibilities here to make numerous log crawls worth the while. 

Back at the river, I continue upstream. The wind has died to almost nothing and the sky has gone from mostly clear to overcast. But, that first hour took the stuffing out of me and the Rocky Hill Ferry isn't going to happen. About halfway to the Ferry, I turn back. It's a very easy paddle back.

No comments: