Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Local Waters

I put in under the highway bridge on the big river, one of my usual spots for a quick trip near the house.  It is a fine day with a half cloud sky, a light breeze and ideal summer temperature.  The tide will be rising for about one more hour.

I head up and across the river heading into the channels between the four nearby marsh islands.  A couple of  Great Egrets circle and scold me from over Carting Island while a Green Heron drops in and poses for me on a deadfall in mid-channel.


I continue up from the islands following the west shore.  I spot a few Osprey, one Bald Eagle, and every so often, a Great Blue Heron.  And, not particularly aiming to get any place, I wander a bit picking some trash.

I stop and stretch my legs on the sandy beach at the dragonfly factory, and continue on to just short of Wooster Island.  From there, I turn back following the east shore.  There is a CH-53 at the dragonfly factory.  It is a very big helicopter.  A little further south, I spot an Osprey tiltrotor coming upriver in hover mode.  I've never seen one flying before.  Considering modern helicopter technology, it looks like a big target.


No comments: