Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Great Swamp

I put in off of Gage Road.  It's the first time that I've used this spot to access the Great Swamp (the Green Chimney's access is closed on weekdays).  It turns out to be an excellent bank for launching a canoe - gentle slope, just enough room for one canoe, and only a 20 yard carry.  The current is 2:1 with the gauge on the nearby Doansberg Road bridge showing 3-1/2 feet.  Above the bridge it is obvious that the water is high with some of the trees a foot or two deep in water.  The river braids and meanders tightly.  I follow the main current, which takes me off the main river channel once or twice.  I get to Green Chimney's in 20 minutes. A few of the kids are fishing with one of the teacher's supervising... a pretty good spot for some recess.  The current slacks off at this point, as usual.


Odds are, there's no one else in the swamp.  As of the first pond, I've spotted one Redwing Blackbird, four Great Blue Herons, seven Canada Geese, and a pair of Wood Ducks.  At the top of the first pond I find one very aggressive Mute Swan, which has been harassing ten Canada Geese that are scattered about in the outer edges of the pond.  I spot the female Swan out in the pickerel weed and cattails.  She has at least two very small Cygnets with her - it looks like they might be riding on her back, but I can't (and won't) get close enough to confirm that.  It is clear that they have just left the nest.

 

The beaver dams are submerged in the high water and only one shows - I think it is the third of fourth dam during normal river levels.  It's an easy scoot over without having to step out.

Again, the high water helps out at the midpoint bridge and I pass through the tangle of deadfalls without having to step out.  The upper marsh is particularly beautiful today.  The cattail spears are about 4 ft high and there are some large patches of bumper crop pickerel weed.  The pickerel weed aren't blooming, yet.  It is good bee food when the purple blossoms are out.

With the Gage Road put-in, the round trip to Patterson is probably 15 miles.  I decide to keep going until I can discern Pine Island.  The island is a low forested hill about a 1/2 mile from Patterson. It can't be seen from the swamp until, all of a sudden, it's there.  A little over 2 hours out, I spot the island and turn back.  

In the lowest pond, I spot a Green Heron perched at the very top of a tall snag.

No comments: