Monday, September 20, 2021

Paddling the Food Chain

I put in up at the old stage coach ford.  The tide is nearing high and the current is reversed, although it is at a crawl this far from the ocean.  It is a beautiful day with a light breeze, some clouds, and lots of sun.


Bailey Creek

The water is alive with minnow splashes. Everywhere are five foot diameter circles of rain drop sized splashes as schools of fry are startled by some predator fish.  Little eruptions occur in different spots as far as I can see.  This continues until I get down to Pocket Knife Corner.  The little fish are traded out for the tail fins of menhaden.  From the Gravel Flats down to the Stone Arch Bridge it is a steady diet of menhaden schools.  I spot at least three Osprey, at least three Great Blue Herons and at least two Kingfishers.  I say, "at least" because with this many fish in the water I suspect that there are more birds and as they disappear and reappear they may not be the same exact bird.  Anyway, the minnows are perfect for the Kingfishers, the menhaden are perfect for the Osprey, and everything is perfect for the Great Blue Herons.

Bald Eagle - I'm kinda proud of that sighting

I pass an occasional school of menhaden until I enter the Long Cut.  The Long Cut is a good Duck hideout and I flush three Mallards.  From there I head down Bailey Creek and turn back up the East River, then into the Cedar Island Cut which connects to the Sneak, which takes me back to the East.  Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets are working over the salt marsh.  I spot a mature Bald Eagle from about 600 yards.  It is perched over by the far end of the Long Cut.

I find, when I get there, that the minnows have moved down onto the Gravel Flats.  A wide spot in the river, there are now a half dozen Osprey on the prowl plus a few Great Blue Herons, Kingfishers and two Hawks that I can't identify.

No comments: