Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Architectural Digress

It's dead calm and quiet in the cove.  The sky is overcast, the temperature about 80, and it is so humid that a sparse sprinkle is in the air as if the droplets are forming somewhere between the ground and the clouds. It would be perfect if it wasn't for the algae bloom.  An iridescent bright green cloud is in the water.  The paddle swirls it into patterns of different intensity.  It would be pretty if it wasn't a symptom of sick water.

Two huge birds flush from directly above me.  I didn't see that coming.  For a second I think they are immature Eagles, but when I can see the head I identify them as Black Vultures.

I pass a motorboat.  Dad is getting ready to take the kids out.  The dark thought comes to mind that it is a clever plan to get out of paying child support.  I wouldn't want to gulp a mouthful of this stuff.

I focus on the good things.  It is an easy paddle with the canoe speeding along in flat water.  I round the long point into the Shephaug, hug the trees as usual.  A Wood Duck flies off from under the trees.  When I look to see if there are others, I spot a Bittern.  I doubt myself for a long time on that sighting, because I would never expect to see a Bittern here in the trees - it's a marsh bird.  But, consulting the bird books, it is a Bittern for sure, only the third one I've seen.  It's not particularly perturbed by my presence, but it manages to stay just far enough back in the trees that I can't get a photograph. 

Once upon a time a Bittern was standing here.
I paddle up as far as Mr. Moneybags' house.  While most of the houses in this section of the river are high and partially hidden by trees, Mr. Moneybags' house is in your face on an open point. For a long time people in this area have been good (whether or not it was intentional) about preserving a natural shoreline - docks are the only indication of many houses.  I've been watching the construction for over two years, a steady march of earth moving machinery, dry stone masons and finally the house.  He has everything and he wants everyone to know it...big house, outdoor pool, barbecue arbor, pontoon boat, water ski boat, two jet skis, and 6 fake swan that are all but useless at scaring Geese off the lawn.  The only thing missing is Mr. Moneybags.  I've never seen him or anyone else other than workers.  I've observed houses like this before.  The owners are never there.  All you ever see are the gardeners. You pretty much have to sell a big piece of your soul to amass that kind of money and soul selling has a powerful inertia....another long day at the office, another long year at the office - so many trophies, so little time.  There is, however, a nice sandy beach on the opposite side of the river and so I stop and take a pee.

The paddle back is nice.  There's just enough headwind to take the balminess off.   

And after about ten tries, I see dad get one of his kids to do a slalom ski start from open water...there was much loud hooping from that boat.


No comments: