Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Annual Coastal Survey of Turbo-Mayberry

Morning errands made for a leisurely start, but with little wind and a overcast sky, the calm start to the day would not change much. I portaged from the house down to the water, S following because she wanted to photograph the 200 yard walk.  At the top of the sea wall some guy told me that it was easier to launch at the other end of the wall.  "No it isn't," I replied.  I'm thinking - shit dude, the portage doesn't start at the sea wall, it starts at the house...and the cement ramp at the bottom of these stairs is one hell of a lot easier to carry a canoe over than the big boulders at the other end.  ..gotta remember, most people just drag their boats over whatever is in the way.

I paddle off towards the old part of town.  My survey confirms that once again, 75% of shoreline houses are too low and too close to the water.  With the overcast, the daily beach blanket bingo contest is being poorly attended. In fact, it is an excellent day with few other boats, and even those are off in the distance.  I nose into our tiny harbor, take a quick look into Gulf Pond and then paddle out to Charles Island.  There are three young Osprey perched in trees.  I'm guessing they are young and probably have just left the nest.  All the other Osprey that I've seen are busy fishing - sitting in tree tops not knowing what to do next is a fledgling behavior. They've been perched in the same place for a half hour.

Charles Island

From there I paddle open water, because it is so calm...cutting point to point across the bays back to my put-in.  

No comments: