Monday, March 22, 2021

Lieutenant River

The tides are rather low with little variation this week.  Some of my planned explorations of tidal areas are on hold while waiting for the timing to be right.

I put in on the Lieutenant River.  Whether the tide is still dropping or not seems not to matter much.  The water is low.  I head upriver to the area I call Boulder Swamp.  There is an Eagle nest there.

Boulder Swamp, as aptly named by me
 

The day is pleasant and sunny with springtime temperatures and a light wind coming in off of the sound.  There aren't a lot about, but all the same it is a fine day.

As I reach Boulder Swamp, I spot one of the Eagles on the far side perched where I have often seen one of them.  Boulder Swamp is lower than expected but I manage to pick my way in until I am below the nest.  Due to being close under the nest, I can't see any activity although I suspect there is an Eagle up there tending eggs.  The other Eagle flies over and heads downriver.

I pick my way back out and continue on past my put-in down the back channel of the Connecticut River. There are a few ducks - Buffleheads, Common Mergansers, Black ans Mallards, I spot a few Red Wing Blackbirds and quite a few Crows.  Again, this area is pretty quiet.  

 Almost down to the other state launch I turn up the Back River, which is actually just a half mile channel heading out to the main river.  I return on the main river before turning back into the Lieutenant.



No comments: