Friday, March 12, 2021

Eagle Nest Check

I set out from Pilgrim's Landing into an strong wind that was not on the schedule, a wind that makes the plan seem a bit optimistic.  Although I am paddling in back channels, this section of the river is a half mile wide and the low treeless islands don't account for too much of wind break.  I head across the channel and tuck in close to the shore of Goose Island.  This island is owned by a hunting club that doesn't seem interested in eradicating the non-native and invasive phragmites, even though I would think it would improve habitat for the birds they like to shoot.  Phragmites only real purpose is to provide a wind break for canoes, it's a crappy plant for wildlife.


At the top of the island the channel opens up into the 1/3 mile diameter Goose Bay.  It looks nasty.  The water is choppy and it appears to have a stiff wind scudding across it.  But as I leave the protection of the island, the wind turns out to not be so bad.  The chop is typical as the bay is only one to two feet deep at low tide, so waves get going with little effort.  I cross again to the east shore, which is the most scenic with several bedrock finger ridges that run out descending into the water.  The wind drops off to nothing.

The wind today is coming in extended gusts.  It blows hard enough to register in the trees for about 5 minutes, then it dies off to nothing for fifteen, then it repeats the cycle.

The top of the bay gradually tapers into a channel.  Here, I start seeing Ducks.  A few (and the only) Buffleheads fly off first.  Then, as I get farther into the marsh I start seeing flocks of Common Mergansers and Black Ducks.  Those two species are the dominant ones today and I see them throughout the trip mixed with a few Hooded Mergansers, Teal and Mallards.

 Eagle Nest with Eagle tending eggs

I reach my goal in just under an hour and a half.  There are two Bald Eagle nests in the top of the cove.  The newest one, which might be only two years old if I remember right, is a third of a mile distant but easy to spot.  Using my binoculars, I see no activity.  But, a egg sitting Eagle might be below the edge of the nest, so I can't say for sure if the nest is in use.  The other nest is near the water and has been in place for several years. The head of one of the adults is visible and egg tending is surely in process.  This nest pair are deserving of Hall of Fame status as they have fledged three Eaglets each year for at least the last few years when I became aware of the nest.  The female is the biggest Eagle that I've seen in this area.  While I'm perched in the arm of the cove, I spot a Red Tailed Hawk.  It's an easy ID as this hawks tail is about as red as it could be.  Then, a Harrier soars through circling and looking for prey.  I usually see Harriers skimming the marsh, so this is a treat to watch it circle and glide.  Again, the Harrier is an easy ID with an obvious white rump patch and a blunt owl-like head.

Harrier - note the rump patch

I start back out taking the side trip up the Bridge Arm.  The Harrier comes by again - The Nest Arm and the Bridge Arm of the cove are separated by a narrow fifty foot high bedrock finger ridge - maybe a hundred yards across.  I flush a few more flocks of Ducks on the way.  The paddle out is easy with the wind behind me and the falling tide.  A mammal swims across the channel halfway down Goose Island.  I get a photo before it disappears.  I ID by ruling out animals - clearly not an otter, doesn't have the block head of a beaver, doesn't seem to have the rat tail of a muskrat.  Probably a mink.

Mink


No comments: