Sunday, February 1, 2009

Portage


In the 40's, gray, and breezy from the SE.
Today I got to try my new portage cart out. I bought an almost new Trek bike trailer at Goodwill for $13, took it apart and put it back together as a portage cart. So, today I walked the mile down the hill and put in at the South end of Portage Bay. There were two small bald eagles in the air, one mature and one still without white feathers. I paddled through the cut (photo). An ancient portage once existed just south of here. No pleasure boats out today. Then I went CW around the bay. Saw a dead mallard hen in the water. The swan carcass has been dragged farther inland and is still feeding something. Paddled into the wind to the S shore and back through the E channel next to the burial island. Loaded my canoe on the cart and walked home. It's the first time I haven't had to start and finish at the same spot.

No comments: