Saturday, October 10, 2026

Autumn has arrived

Windy weather and a day or two of being under the weather kept me off the water for a bit.  Today comes with canoe weather - sun, a light wind and a 70F temperature.  I take my getting out, but it seems that I'll have the very high tide timed well enough.

I put in on the Housatonic under the highway, then cut across beneath the drawbridge and head up river through the four islands.  The water is near slack and stays that way for about 2 miles. My tide timing isn't ideal and an opposing current starts growing as I near Fowler Island.  The last mile up river is against a fairly strong current. I spot an Osprey near Baldwin Landing. I often say that a few Osprey stay late in the year, but I really don't know if they stayed, or if the birds are migrating late from places farther north.  Anyway, there are usually a few Osprey around right up until winter.  A short distance further up and I flush an immature Bald Eagle, which I managed to paddle directly beneath without seeing.  

I cross the river and ride a following current back.  Unfortunately, a wind starts blowing upriver, which almost negates the effect of the current.  It is, however, no problem as it is such a fine day and I have most often had the river to myself.  

Cutting around the back side of the Quad Islands, I spot a pair of Great Egrets, which take to the air and head off as I near.   

No comments: