I put in at Pond Brook. The parking lot, such as it is (it's a big field), looks a bit like a county fair. Apparently, a hiking club and a mountain biking club are both using the nearby trail system. There are only two other boaters, a pair of dippers who don't look like they will go very far.
I pass four more kayakers before getting to the confluence with the Shephaug, all dippers, but wonders of wonders, 3 out of the 4 are wearing PFDs.
The day is very humid, so much so that I feel lethargic. The sky is overcast with cumulus clouds and while it opens up a bit as I paddle, it never gets less than 90% clouds. When I get to the main river, I let the wind decide on my course. It seems that the breeze is slowly increasing. It is coming up the river, so I head down, following the shore closely. It is my "Natty Bumpo" canoe technique - weave in and out of the overhanging tree branches up close to the forest so that no one "out there" will see me, while I pay close attention to everything.
I see a few Osprey, a few Great Blue Herons, and a Mallard with seven ducklings in tow.
The wind is at my back on my return, and it feels like 10-15 mph. I pass a herd of 6 dippers. Two of them are working their paddle boards as if they were galley slaves. Looks like fun (end sarcasm font).
I'd expected more motorboats, but once I left the confluence, I saw no one until my return, and that was almost nothing.


No comments:
Post a Comment