Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Is this Indian Summer?

I was busy in the morning, but the day is so gorgeous that it would be crime of nature to not go canoeing.

I put in on the East River, at the old stage crossing, where I usually start. The tide is near low, but coming in. Two bends down, I cross the Gravel Flats, already with a foot of water to glide through. I flush seven Black Ducks from just below the Flats.

It seems a quiet day with little in the way of wildlife. I add 3 Great Blue Herons to my sightings while in the freshwater marsh above Clapboard Hill Road.

Once below the railroad bridge, I find enough water to use the Sneak, cutting through to Bailey Creek, taking that down to the East River. The tide is still coming in, so I have a gentle current to ride upstream. Just past Cedar Island, I take another cut back over to the Sneak, then up and back into the East River.

At the lowest of the Big Bends, a large Bald Eagle takes off from a nearby tree. It scatters a half dozen nearby Yellow Legs, but the Eagle isn't concerned with them, knowing that the Yellow Legs know the Eagle is there. Eagles prefer to pounce on unsuspecting prey. Ducks and other small birds can outmaneuver an Eagle. Anyway, the Eagle flies low across the marsh, and I lose sight of it for a few seconds. Then I spot it circling near the 2nd and last of the Big Bends. When it took off from the tree, it had something in sight that was some 500 yards away. The last I see of the Eagle, it is flying south away from the river.

I find some resident Geese at the 2nd Bend.  Bald Eagles don't go after Canada Geese. Although they would make a good meal, the flapping wing of a frightened Goose is enough to break an Eagle's wing, which is a fatal injury for a bird of prey.

I continue on, just enjoying the day.

No comments: