Friday, June 7, 2024

The Other Missing Link

Paddling alone most of the time, my river routes require that I can paddle them upstream as well as downstream. Funny thing about canoe guide books is that they are rarely include any information about paddling upstream. Today, I set out on the Bradford-Potter Hill section of the Pawcatuck. On the map, it looks like it should be fairly placid as the river runs through swamp and bottom land forest. But, one never really knows - a drop of a foot or two in the wrong place can make the upstream paddle...work.

I put in at Potter Hill, the site of a dam and an old falling down mill. There is a small gap in the shrubs at the Flora Whitely Preserve for launching the canoe. That is one of the draws to this section of river - there are no public boat ramps. The only other access is at the Bradford end where a hundred yard portage is necessary to get past the series of ramps that were put in to replace an old dam. The ramps hold the water level, but allow fish passage.

It is an excellent paddling day There is little wind, the temperature will be about 80F, and the sky is mostly cloudy but with big slices of blue sky. I get scolded by a Green Heron that flies a circle around me while vocalizing. This is a good sign - I am an oddity, much better than to have the bird looking nonchalant, "another human in a canoe." I will spot around ten Great Blue Herons over the distance, and one Osprey. Otherwise in the bird department, it is mostly bird song constantly from the forest.

A mile and a half up, I pass under the RI-3 bridge. There is a short bit of fast water to negotiate, maybe 20 yards or so of stiff paddling. The current varies with some sections having little while the worst is at most 2:1. The last house is at about the 2 miles point. Pretty much, all the houses are back from the river and more of a cabin size - Mr. Moneybags hasn't discovered this area, yet. Although, it might no be to his taste. I get the idea when I am here that this is inhabited by a lot of fishing/hunting types.

There is not a lot a variation in the terrain. The river is a 100 ft or so wide at Potter Hill, and 75 ft or so at Bradford. The lower half is lower, tending toward swamp. The upper half has a 2 foot high exposed bank. Once past the last house, it is clear that there is a broad patch of wildland on either side of the river.

Halfway out, I run into four people from the state. I ask them if they are out counting canoes. The boss replies, "Yes - one." Anyway, it turns out that the Potter Hill dam will be removed in the future to be replaced with something like the ramps at Bradford. This group is out looking over the marsh to see what impact a change in water level would have. They tip me off that there is a walking bridge upstream that will have some fast water under it. 


I get scolded something fierce by a Hawk. I think it is an immature Red Shouldered Hawk. I get several okay photos, and get to listen to its loud keeee-yer call. It really gave me holy hell for being in its space and showed no inclination to fly off.

The walking bridge does have some fast water, but at least today, it is easier than the RI-3 bridge. There is a possible portage on river-right, for future reference. Just beyond that is a shore to shore tangle of downed trees. I manage to push through. Too bad that I didn't take my saw or I could have easily opened up a tunnel for other paddlers.

The next stop is the Bradford ramps. With that, I turn back with the advantage of the current. It took 2-1/2 hours to get here and will take just under 2 hours to return. 14 miles total.

The Bradford Ramps


No comments: