Wednesday, January 31, 2024

The Milford Loon Fest

I put in at the town harbor for a short trip. It's overcast for the umpteenth day in a row, which is not so exiting, but it is calm and the timing of the tide is just right for getting under the railroad bridge at the top of Gulf Pond. The temperature is in the high 30's. I am the only moving boat in the harbor.

The harbor is less than a mile in length. I pass a Common Loon not more than 200 yards from the put-in. At the mouth of the harbor, I pass three more Loons. They are all adults in non breeding plumage.

I head under the bridge and into Gulf Pond. The fifth Loon is just a couple hundred yards up the pond. I follow the west short up to the second bridge.

There are quite a few Canada Geese and Gulls in the upper pond. I flush some Black Ducks, Mallards and a few scattered groups of Buffleheads. Then, ducking under the third bridge and, 50 yards later, ride the flood current through the railroad bridge. 

This section is kinda sorta the Indian River. It's pretty quiet in that I seem to be the only wildlife in sight. I turn back from the highway bridge.

The tide is still in flood, so the railroad bridge is a power test to break the current. 20 minutes ago, I might not have been able to get through. 

 I find 5 Loons coming back, and I am guessing that they are the same. The first is about halfway into the harbor and the others come about 200 yards later. Then, there is a whistle, a really obvious whistle, I find a mature Bald Eagle perched in the top of a tree on the opposite side of the harbor.

No comments: