Monday, October 2, 2023

Lover's Leap

It is another fine day, with temperatures in the 70's, light winds, and a mostly sunny sky. I put in on the Housatonic at Bridgewater, a mile upstream from Pond Cove.

I paddle upstream following the shoreline, staying in the shade under the overhanging forest. It is 6 miles up to Lover's Leap, a narrow gorge between cliffs that the river passes through. This is a paddling trip and while there is plenty to look at, most of it can be appreciated without setting the paddle down. 

Leaves are just starting to change, with a few trees that have completely gone technicolor standing out against a mostly green forest. I flush a Great Blue Heron not a quarter mile in. I'll see several more along the way. There are quite a few Ducks along the way, mostly Mallards, some Mergansers and one flock of 2 dozen Wood Ducks. 

I reach Lover's Leap in about 2 hours, turn and follow the west shore back.

No comments: