Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Equinox

It is a pretty fine day. A variety of things, not the least of which is the spring winds, has kept me shore bound for too long. I put in on the big river from under the highway bridge. I will catch the last hour or so of a healthy upstream tidal current, which should almost last to my turn around point.

Round jelly fish - about 1 inch diameter


I cut across the river to paddle up through the four islands, using the channel between Peacock and Carting. Of particular note, there are a lot of small jelly fish in the water (the four islands being in brackish water). The jellies are 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter and remind me of an open lantern with six "frame" parts surrounding a central mass. I can easily see 3 or 4 of the jelly fish at any time. I see a few Mallards, a few Teal, and flush fifty Black Ducks, while there are a few Buffleheads off of the top of the islands. Then, I follow the west shore. It is an easy fast paddle with little wind and a good following current.

I spot four female Common Mergansers in the bend at the top of Island #6. Then, a large mature Bald Eagle soaring across from the dragonfly factory.

I round Island #7 and head back downriver, soon enough picking up the ebb current. This is a fortunate matter as when I get below Island #6 I get a stiff 15mph headwind. It is too late to cross over to the protection of the far side's back channels due to a good whitecap chop that has developed, the wind and current being opposed. I grind it out, knowing well enough that without the current I would be almost standing still.

No comments: