Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Easy Winter in Lord's Cove

I set out from Pilgrims Landing, which is at the bottom of Lord's Cove and, by far, the most immediate access to the extensive marsh that is the cove. Today, it is calm and sunny, and although the temperature is still in the lower 30's, it feels much warmer. The low sun on the rocks and bare trees is making for fantastic scenery.

There is a bit of a rustle and a little flap. I look over my right shoulder to see an immature Bald Eagle overtaking me. I must have paddle right under it without noticing. 


The Second Immature Bald Eagle

There are few ducks about in the lower end of the cove. They are mostly Buffleheads, and I never get within a 150 yards of them before they flush. Even at that distance, the males are obvious in their bold black and white tuxedos.  I spot a second immature Bald Eagle. The mottled coloring is noticably different than the the first one that I spotted. This one takes a perch until I paddle by.
Hooded Merganser

I run my usual circuit for this area - back to the old bridge, then up to the head of the cove.  Some of the route is done just for the scenery, and some of it is done for the wildlife.  The head of the cove holds the most ducks. It is a mix of Common Mergansers, Black Ducks, and Buffleheads, but also one Goldeneye in the mix and a pair of Hooded Mergansers. They all flush from a good distance. In fact, only three times do I get within a hundred yards of a duck before they take wing.  The big Eagle nest is unattended at this time.

The clouds have come in, a high thin overcast that reduces the sun to a low wattage light bulb. On the way out I counter clockwise around Cout's Hole. With our mild and almost snowless winter, all of the swamp grasses and cattails are still standing. Even the wild rice is still up, although the grains have all fallen away.

I spot a Harrier in the recently restored area of the marsh. A few years ago, the government eradicated the phragmites in this area and the cattails, wild rice, and other marsh plants have returned. I would guess that phragmites makes poor hunting for a Harrier, being too tall and close together, as well as the fact that it doesn't provide habitat for most of the prey species.


No comments: