Saturday, October 15, 2022

Marsh Master, Not

Too many meetings this past week. I don't know what it is about people needing to make simple matters into drama. When I was an engineer and was expected to go to meetings, I figured out ways to not attend. It was easier to do extra work than it was to bicker about it, and we usually got the work done before it was expected. I needed some canoe time.

It is a superb autumn day, warm and calm and sunny. I put in with two hours of rising tide left and head down to the marsh as I did yesterday. Again, Kingfishers accompany me for the mile to the first of the spartina.
 I headed down Nell's channel with plans of exploring the long dead end channel in Nell's Island, but I miss the turn. Two sportsman pass me in the channel, their bulging toned forearms working the throttles of their big-ass powerboats. The first one has idiot sized stereo speakers blaring Elton John... I don't get it. The third boat in the channel is clearly labeled "Harbor Master". I'm not sure what harbor he is master of, but at least he keeps his speed down. I peel off into one of the narrow circuitous side channels before we pass. I think that maybe I should be the Marsh Master. It then occurs to me that there ain't no such thing, because as soon as you take a month off from visiting the inner channels of the marsh, you have to re-learn the turns and passable channels. That is the reason why I almost never see any other canoes in the center of the marsh. I would guess that the average owner of a rec kayak or canoe paddles about six or eight times a year. When I was younger and selling cross country skis, we knew that the average skier used their skis only six times each winter, and that was in Minnesota. So, most people that visit the marsh are going to stay on the outer edge where they will not get lost or have to backtrack. As often as I am in here, I still give myself extra time to get back out into open water.

I flush Night Herons every so often.  They are scattered about and most of them are juveniles. I see a few Great Blue Herons and a few Great Egrets, flush two Black Crowned Night Herons at the central phragmites patch, and flush a few ducks. The bird count is definitely less than yesterday, but I started later and might not be the first one in here... first one in sees the most wildlife. After doing the out and back in the channel by Cat Island, I head back out and up the river to my start point.

No comments: