Thursday, September 8, 2022

Reboot

I head out down Pond Brook, which actually is Pond Cove, this tributary of the river being in its third phase, not unlike myself, I suppose. I don't imagine that the brook was ever canoeable. It should have been too steep and rocky, if it ever had enough water. Its second phase was a railroad line running down the left shoreline to where it crossed the Housatonic and turned up the Shephaug. It must have been one heck of a scenic train trip. The current phase started in the 1950's when a dam was built about 3 or 4 miles downstream. The reservoir water then backed up into the brook making it a cove. It also submerged the old rail bed except up at the top of the ponding. 

I didn't sleep well the night before, so yesterday was a low energy day with a lot of napping. I even watched all 12 innings of a pretty good baseball game. So, the morning start was just a little delayed as I had to burn some energy off the cats. We had a good half hour of sliding across the hardwood floors and dive bombing imaginary critters, and then I could go.

It is exceptionally peaceful today, although not quiet as the forests are filled with cricket calls. I head down and round the point into the Shephaug. I noticed some horse chestnut trees, and then paid attention and realized they had acorns. It's one of those oak trees that has leaves that I don't associate with oaks and I identify it when I get home - a chinkapin oak.
Chinkapin oak

The wind is supposed to be from the NE today, but right now it is out of the south. That turns out to just be some hill affect, and soon I have a light cool breeze in my face. I usually follow the forested west shore when I head this way, but today I decide to cross over so that I can scan the forest from a distance. I spot a hawk very far off and confirm the sighting when I spot ten Vultures soaring at about the same distance. Vultures have more dihedral in their wings. There are also quite a few Great Blue Herons and when I pay attention, a lot more Ducks than one might think. They are mostly Mallards. 

I don't see any other boats until I get up to the final bends below the cascades - two fishing kayaks and a bass boat. I've made good time and take a short break in below the cascades, then head back down. The bird count on the reverse is pretty much a duplicate of the bird count on the way in. I see three more fishermen, and it remains peaceful. 

The head has been rebooted and all is right side up again.

No comments: