Monday, May 16, 2022

Wheeler at High Tide

A high tide coming near midday and good weather turned a quick trip to the local salt marsh into Plan A.  I put in under the highway and headed downstream and with the tide peaking in just another hour, the flood current was already lessening.  I spotted a ground hog in the brush just as I got going. 


The Wheeler Marsh is still wide open with unobstructed views.  Last year's spartina was flattened by winter snow and this year's growth is not much more than 6-8 inches high.  I head into one of the small channels knowing and begin wandering.  High tide is a good time, and about the only time, to explore the many small channels that run through the marsh.  There are quite a few Great Egrets, particularly in the center of the marsh.   There are 8-10 Osprey scattered about, but none of them are actively fishing.  Two seem to building a new nest on a dock at the upper end of the marsh.  I spot a pair of Swans, one still tending eggs on a nest near the large central phragmites patch. Of course there are a lot of Geese and Mallards.  In the lower east corner, I find a pair of Snowy egrets - the only two I spot.  I haul two plastic barrels over to the WR launch. Later, I'll collect them on the drive home.  An immature Bald Eagle flies over and perches above me.

I circle behind Cat Island, a route that only goes at the highest tides.  Then, I head up into Beaver Creek - spot ten Yellow Crowned Night Herons.  Interesting that they are all in this area.  Spot one Black Crowned Night Heron - interesting that I only see one when there are so many of the others.

Heading back upriver, I spot a mature Bald Eagle.


No comments: