Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Above the Water

Before I can get into the canoe, a large tree limb or tall dead snag crashes down unseen through the forest canopy  a hundred yards to my left. I know then that I have come to the right place at the right time.  I spot two Great Blue Herons tucked into the shade at the water's edge.

Out of the cove and heading down the main river, it is calm with an imperfect reflection of all that is above. The humid cloud fog overcast is reflected on the water.  The rocky shore is doubled to appear as a well built dry stone wall.  I would normally paddle close to shore under the edge of the canopy as if I was a forest creature, but out here I have the distinct feeling of paddling not on the water, but rather some ten or a hundred feet above the surface.  Gliding where no one else can go.

It takes an hour and a half to spot the first other person - a guy putting slowly about in kayak. It will be the only boat I see until I get back to my put-in.

The low water below and the extra runoff coming through the cascades stops me a hundred yards below my usual turn-around.

For the day I count at least 15 Great Blue Herons, 2 immature Bald Eagles, one mature Bald Eagle and a Kingfisher.



No comments: