Thursday, November 5, 2020

The Miracle of Fluid Dynamics

 I set out on the big river, a leisurely start due to the timing of the tide.  With about 3 hours to go before high tide, I set out don river against a stiff flood tide of 1-2 miles per hour and a 10 mile per hour headwind.  It was power paddling down to the bridge.  On this side of the bridge, through the miracle of fluid dynamics, the current runs stiff bank to bank.  I suppose some of this has to do with the tide being directed through the bridge abutments, but I could just be blowing smoke.  The first pause is in the eddy of a bridge abutment.  The current eases some below the bridge and it lets up a bit more near shore.


Beaver Creek
Entering the marsh, the current reverses.  The direction of a flood current in a big marsh is usually, in, as opposed to up river or down river.

I start with a diversion up Beaver Creek.  The birds today are mostly ducks.  I flush a dozen Black Ducks either as singles or pairs, no flocks.  I spot a Great Egret and good distance circling the edge of the marsh and a Kingfisher and an Osprey as the creek narrows.  At the last main bend of the creek before where it becomes too shallow, I slush about 3 dozen Mallards.  

I circle the marsh clockwise noting little in wildlife but enjoying a sunny autumn day.  The spartina has all gone gold, but it stands high as it will until we get heavy snow.  From Milford Point I follow Nell's Island Channel back upriver riding the tidal current with the wind at my back.

No comments: