Friday, October 9, 2020

Somewhere

I put in on the long secluded cove noting that the water was clear again; the temperature has dropped and made the algae go where algae goes during the winter.  It was nice to see the bottom a few feet down.  The leaves are just starting to turn.  But, they are not the explosive Kodachrome colors yet.  That will come in a couple weeks.  The strongest notice that my senses pick up is the smell.  The still air in the cove smells of stale wood smoke, the smoke of the last night or two.  So, the night temperatures are dipping down enough that locals are burning some wood in their stoves and fireplaces. 

I head out of the cove into the big river thoroughly enjoying the new colors and the autumn light that casts shadows and creates contrast.  Gone is the washed out light of summer.

I soon figure out that I have nowhere to go, at least nowhere on any map.  A canoe always takes me someplace, even if I go nowhere.

I hear Geese in the shadows of the far shore.  As I stare and scan in that direction I finally see them at the edge of my hat brim.  It is a big V of thirty Canada Geese about 300 ft up.  It morphs into two sloppy V's, then morphs again back into the big V.

I head down and around the point.  I think to myself that someday I have to take the time to find where the old railroad rises up from the reservoir.  Most of this trip I am paddling somewhere above the old bed.  

The shallow cove where I sometimes see Eagles seems far enough.  There are no Eagles today.  Then, I see one flying about a half mile upriver.  Too far to see the markings, it is a process of elimination...Turkey Vulture, Great Blue Heron or Bald Eagle.  The speed of the wing flapping signals that it is an Eagle.  I paddle on.  Then, I just happen to be looking up at the tree tops and the Bald Eagle flies past.  I assume it is the same bird.

I've been somewhere and I can return.

 



 

 

 

No comments: